For this assignment. we’ll compare the Code of Hammurabi and the Torah in respects to the Torahs both paperss established. First. delight follow the stairss below:
1. Travel to the on-line hunt engine. the Bible Gateway ( World Wide Web. biblegateway. com )
2. In the Search box. come in the keywords “eye for oculus. ”
3. Select Old Testament. Please utilize the New International Version of the Bible. In this assignment we are interested merely in consequences from the books of the Pentateuch or the Torah. Genesis. Exodus. Leviticus. Numbers. and Deuteronomy.
4. Using the same technique. hunt for the word “slave. ”
5. Reread the Code of Hammurabi in your Andrea/Overfield text. Look for mentions to the phrase “eye for eye” and “slave. ”
6. Compare the mentions from the Torah with the transitions in the Code of Hammurabi which besides contain the same stage and word ( s ) .
Now. reply the undermentioned inquiries:
How do those two sets of Torahs refer to the construct “eye for eye” ? What similarities and differences do you observe in this respect in the two texts? What do those similarities and differences tell us about the societies. their Torahs. and development of civilisations in general?
In a similar manner. delight measure the two texts in mention to the word “slave. ” What similarities and differences do you observe in this respect in the two texts? What do those similarities and differences tell us about the societies. their Torahs. and development of civilisations in general?
Now. travel back to your treatment on societal justness in the Code of Hammurabi you submitted for the lesson on Mesopotamia. Does the comparing with the Torah alter your initial reaction to the societal justness exercised through the Code of Hammurabi? Please do certain to supply illustrations to back up your reply.