The main objective of this project was “to create a newsletter for Erdington Star Football Club that is easy to make and that the future editions are of a similar layout. A benefit of the project is that the club has a well-presented informative newsletter with regular articles that the members are interested in and enjoy.”
My intended audience was the members of Erdington Star Football Club. This group consisted of a wide range of people, from young children to their grandparents. However, I do not expect that the young children would read it with as much interest so I wrote the articles for an older audience. I made the pages fairly colourful and used adverts of invented companies to do so. Pictures from clip art enhanced the appearance of the pages and I feel that I could have used more photos with the digital camera than the one I did use.
The desktop publisher program that I used was very suitable. An example of how it was suitable was when I wrote an article that started on one page and using text box connecting facilities, I continued the story on another page in another text box. On word processing programs the positioning of the text is always right across the page and a sub-heading or a line could only separate articles between the two. On this publisher program I could place my text boxes all around the page which made the newsletter more attractive.
Other software that I used was, Microsoft Paint to create advertisements for my newsletter and due to the poor variety of WordArt in the publishing program, I used Microsoft Word as it has a better variety and more choice of WordArt formats.
I inserted clip art pictures into my newsletter by selecting the space I wished it to be placed and then selecting my chosen picture and clicking on insert. I also layered articles and advertisements on top of shadowed borders, which I had to send to the back of the publication in
order to make the text visible. I also drew and filled in a table using the option on the toolbar in Microsoft Publisher and not Excel because the table was all I needed and not a spreadsheet. I also copied and pasted the adverts I created in Paint.
Sources of Information
My main source of information was my imagination. I used the names of members of my football team and I also invented some and also mixed and matched surnames and forenames. Clipart pictures were attained from the clipart gallery, which I accessed from the toolbar on the left of the Publisher screen.
I didn’t really encounter many problems. I suppose my first problem was the WordArt variety supply in Publisher and then finding a better supply, which I consequently found in Word. I do not know if using a different Desktop Publishing program would have helped in this problem because I have no other experience in using others such as Page Plus.