Part II – Use the immediate inferences found on the square of opposition to determine if the following statements are true, false or undetermined. (10 points)
IF True IF False
Some pickles are not dill
1. Some pickles are dill 1. Some P are S. 1. Some S are P.
2. No pickles are dill 2. No P are S. 2. All S are non-P
Some fire engines are red
1. Some fire engines are not red 1. Some S are not non-P 1. Some P are S.
2. All fire engines are red 2. No S are non-P. 2. All non-P are non-S.
3. No fire engines are red 3. No P are S. 3. All S are not non-P.
All murder is a sin
1. Some murder is not a sin 1. Some S are non-P 1. Some non-P are not non-S
2. No murder is a sin 2. Undetermined 2. Undetermined
No root beer is orange
1. Some root beer is orange 1. Some P are S 1. Some S are not non-P
2. All root beer is orange 2. No S are non-P 2. All non-P are non-S
3. Some root beer is not orange 3. Some S are non-P 3. Some non-P are not non-S
Part III– Complete the matrix by rewriting the statement (10 points)
All rice is brown
No rice is brown.
No brown are rice.
Some rice are not brown.
No dogs are cats
All dogs are not cats.
No cats are dogs.
Some cats are not dogs.
Some foxes are sly
Some that are sly are not foxes.
No foxes are sly.
All that are sly are foxes.
Part IV – Define the parts of a syllogism (6 points)
All dogs are pets
All pets are domesticated
Therefore, all dogs are domesticated
Major Term: ______dogs_____________
Minor Term: ______pets_____________
Middle Term: ______domesticated____________
Major Premise: __All dogs are pets.___
Minor Premise: __All pets are domesticated.___
Conclusion: __Therefore, all dogs are domesticated.___
Part V – Identify the mood and figure (4 points)
All humans are mammals
All Mammals are intelligent
Therefore, all humans are intelligent
Mood and Figure: __All Mammals are intelligent – A proposition
Part VI – Writing syllogisms (10 points)
No cows are chickens
All chickens are birds
Therefore, no cows are chickens.
All grass are green
Some flowers are red
Therefore, no grass are red.
Some ducks are not felines
No felines are birds
Therefore, some felines are not ducks.
All princesses have castles
All princesses have partners
Some princesses have castles.
All women are intelligent
Not all men are sensitive
Therefore, some women are sensitive.
Part VII – Reduce these arguments to standard form (10 points)
1. (Eliminating synonyms) No dogs are cats
All labs are K-9’s
Therefore no Labrador retrievers are felines
No dogs are cats
Therefore, no Labrador retrievers are felines.
2. (Eliminating complements) All glass is transparent
No plastics are transparent
Therefore, all plastic are non-glass
All glass is transparent
Therefore, all plastic are non-glass.
Part VII– Test for validity using truth tables (10 points)
1. p É q
2. If a man is infected with aids, then his lover is also infected
The man is not infected
Therefore his lover is not infected
Part VIII – Test for validity using Venn Diagrams (20 points)