Directions: Write a paragraph-length ( 3-4 sentences ) response to reply each of the undermentioned inquiries. Make certain you start your paragraph with a subject sentence. Submit your completed usher to the Video: The American Colonies assignment nexus. For information on how this assignment will be graded. delight visit the orientation. 1. For whom was America a land of chance in the 18th century? For whom was America NOT a land of chance in the 18th century? – America was the land of chance for many of the first white settlers to get from England. Many white apprenticed retainers were besides really hopeful to travel to aMerica and get down their new lives after functioning a set sum of clip ; shortly to be released with either money or land to break their new life. However. this did non stand for the 1000s of African Slaves imported to America who would hold to function all of the white settlers for life. Many times their kids. grandchildren etc. would besides be retainers for life. This was no life of freedom of autonomy. but a prison.
2. Why was indentured servitude a sensed ticket to the American Dream? – Indentured servitutde was much like a ticket to the American Dream because by utilizing this “pass” many English common people were able to come to America merely paying frontward five or more old ages to move as a retainer to white settlers that had already “made it” in America. After their services. they would be rewarded with either money or land in order to get down their new lives. For many. particularly the lower category. five old ages of their life was a little monetary value to pay for freedom from England and a new life.
3. How did Ben Franklin typify an American individuality?
– As a establishing male parent of America. Franklin was able to convey a batch of new thoughts and innovations to the tabular array that bettered the New World in ways ne’er seen earlier. As a immature male child. he showed much promise by composing a political sketch ; the celebrated “Join or Die. ” This represented a united America which would subsequently go the foundation of our success. Subsequently on. he invented a better operation range for warming and the library system ; both of which would transform mundane life for settlers all over the continent. It was now possible to heat your house expeditiously and with less work. so that more clip may be spent on harvests. taking attention of the household or instruction that was now provided with the innovation of the library loan system.
4. Describe what it meant to be an American in the 18th century for two different groups of people?
– Many think that being an American should hold ever been something to be sought after. a effort that was really high criterion ; doing it look like an acheivenement. For some white American settlers. this was the instance. They came over from England desiring a fresh start. freedom and escapade ; which many people did finally acquire. However. America was non a symbol of Liberty and Freedom for all. in fact or many Africans. it became the symbol of long lived servitude followed merely by calamity and decease. African-Americans did non inquire to come to America. nor as it shown as a topographic point they would stand out. It was merely the finish after a long and grueling trip across the Atlantic that would merely convey more agony. To the mean African. being an American meant being a captive.