The Great West Door
Is the chief entryway on province occasions into the Cathedral and provides the cardinal dramatic frontispiece of St Paul ‘s. The North Aisle
Located to the left of the Great West door entryway. Areas of involvement include a instance incorporating the axial rotation of honor of 33,000 members of the Merchant Navy who lost their lives functioning in the Second World War and the memorial to the Duke of Wellington by Alfred Stevens who worked on it for 20 old ages and was still uncomplete on his decease in 1875. Wellington is buried in the Crypt. The North Transept
Is where the fount is located that day of the months from 1727. It is made from Italian marble. The Dome
The country under the Dome is decorated in a compass design. When the Dome was being built Wren was hauled up in a basket two or three times a hebdomad to see how work was come oning. His boy fixed the last rock in place. The Dome is among the largest in the universe. It ‘s chief construction is of Portland rock from Dorset. The Murmuring Gallery
Is located above the arches in the dome. It is called the Whispering Gallery because a susurration against the clean round wall can be heard on the opposite side, some 42 meters off. St Paul ‘s dramatic fresco pictures are best seen from this gallery. The South Transept
Contains testimonials to national figures including the adventurer Captain Robert Falcon Scott ( 1868-1912 ) who died on the return journey from the South Pole. There is besides an luxuriant commemoration to Admiral Horatio Viscount Nelson ( 1758-1805 ) . The main glorification in the South Transept is the door instance, originally portion of the Choir Screen and organ gallery. In one corner of the South Transept stands the first statue to be erected in St Paul ‘s to the altruist and candidate for prison reform, John Howard ( 1726-90 ) . The Quire
Forms the top of the Cathedral ‘s cross form and is the most richly decorated portion of the inside. This is where Wren ‘s workingmans started edifice. Minor Canons ‘ Aisle.
Wren called the original organ a ‘box of whistlings ‘ . The organ has been divided and enlarged and improved to go the 3rd largest organ in the state. Although alterations have been made the quality of the sound and the beauty of the ornament are one of the glorifications of the cathedral. Such celebrated composers as Handel and Mendelssohn both enjoyed playing at. The powerful huntsman’s horns, situated on the West Gallery, are besides played from the organ console. The High Altar
The design echoes the pencil study of a baldacchino Wren envisaged as the focal point of his expansive edifice. The communion table is made of a slab of Italian marble, weighing about four dozenss whilst the cross stands about 3 meters high and the candle holders on either side, made of aureate and lacquered bronze coins, stand 1.6 meters high. The American Memorial Chapel
Is located behind the High Altar and was created as a British testimonial to the 28,000 Americans Ba
sed in Britain who lost their lives in the Second World War. The Chapel was dedicated in 1958 in the presence of Her Majesty the Queen and Richard Nixon, Vice-President of the United States. Dean ‘s Aisle
The image of John Donne was the lone figure to last the Great Fire of 1666 integral. As the old Cathedral burned, the statue fell into the Crypt. Scorch Markss can still be seen around its base. The Dean ‘s Aisle besides contains fragments from the Holy Land including a carven piece of marble from Herod ‘s Temple. The South Aisle
The Light of the World by Holman Hunt is the most famed and celebrated picture in the Cathedral. It shows Christ strike harding at a low door which, significantly, can merely be opened from within. The creative person is buried in the Crypt.
Is the largest and most impressive in Europe. Although entombments no longer take topographic point here, some 200 commemorations can be seen. Much in the Crypt speaks of gallantry and courage, but overpoweringly the calamity of war is illustrated by the memorials contained within. O.B.E. Chapel
The Chapel of the Order of the British Empire honours those who have given distinguished service to their state at place or abroad. Besides known as St Faith ‘s Chapel. Christopher Wren ‘s Grave
One of the simplest in the Cathedral. Wren himself wanted no memorial. Nelson ‘s Grave
Nelson died at the conflict of Trafalgar in 1805. His organic structure was preserved in a keg of naval brandy and placed within four caskets before entombment in the crypt. Wellington ‘s Grave
Wellington ‘s grave is made of Cornish porphyritic granite supported with a block of Peterhead granite. The Treasury
Many of the Cathedral ‘s hoarded wealths are kept here. Over the centuries much has been seized by the province or stolen in a major robbery in 1810. There are over 200 points of liturgical home base Lent by churches in the London Diocese every bit good as the Jubilee Cope worn during the Queen ‘s Jubilee jubilations in 1977.
St Paul ‘s Cathedral store is situated in the crypt. It has a broad scope of ware including spiritual and theological books, kids ‘s books, Cadmiums and tapes of the choir, salutations cards, post cards and gifts such as letter paper, China and glass, T-shirts and perspiration shirts, all inspired by Sir Christopher Wren ‘s great architectural chef-d’oeuvre.
The store can be accessed ( free of charge ) through the North West Crypt Door, on the left manus side of the Cathedral as you face it. Opening times are Monday to Saturday 9.00 to 17.00 and Sunday 10.30 to 17.00.
‘The Crypt Cafe ‘ is unfastened every twenty-four hours functioning hot and cold drinks, a choice of delightful sandwiches, pastries, bars and scones. The Cafe is licensed and serves forenoon java, light tiffins and afternoon teas in the alone environment of the Cathedral Crypt. Group engagements and parties welcomed – please telephone the Catering Manager on 0171 246 8358